Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The soundtrack to my (London) life

So I thought I would do a post about music because it kind of is my everything. It is at the center of my life. I feel like I always have this thing I call "the soundtrack to my life" playing in the back of my head while I'm talking to people, while I'm walking around, in class, everywhere. And I love it. Seriously, I think the people in my program think I'm anti-social because of how much I listen to music. I'm not I promise! I'm just addicted! I have a problem!

Music is one of my best friends. It's always there for me :-) I love that when I can't put a name to my emotion music can. It's an escape but at the same time it grounds me and centers me. So this one is for you music...keep on keepin' on and doing your thaang.

Artists that have played a big role in my London trip:
Fleet Foxes, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Sufjan Stevens, Arcade Fire, The Beatles, Bon Iver, Jimi Hendrix, Adele, Nick Drake, The Rolling Stones, and The Kinks

Artist that I listened to particularly in Scotland:
Dave Matthews Band
(There is something about the way Dave puts the different instruments together that worked so well in the Scotland setting. Imagine listening to "Bartender" while walking along the sea cliffs in Orkney...indescribable)

Songs I listened to while walking around the ruins of Coventry Cathedral:
My City of Ruins---Bruce Springsteen (To me, one of the most powerful songs ever written)
Death and All His Friends---Coldplay (I legitimately teared up the first time I heard this song...no joke)
And Pride---U2 ( A classic symbol of love and hope triumphing over evil which is what Coventry is all about)

Song I listened to in the London cemeteries:
Cemeteries Of London---Coldplay (Self explanatory)

Artists/albums I listened to while running or needing to feel cool as I walked down the street:
Eminem--- say what you will about him but the beat is addictive
Jaydiohead---Jay-Z's remix of a bunch of classic Radiohead songs. This album has really grown on me
Tor/Sufjan Stevens---Album title "Come on Feel the Illinoiz (Another remix album that I loooooove)

Songs that are specific to moments walking around Hyde Park:
January Rain---David Gray
Give Up The Ghost---Radiohead
Skinny Love---Bon Iver
Arms---Seabear
And the entire Garden State soundtrack....multiple times. I never get sick of it and I'm not ashamed.

I know I've mentioned a lot of music but there is soo soooo much more. I could seriously go on and on. Talk to me sometime. I'm not kidding :-)
There are a lot of people here with great taste in music and they've introduced me to some good things. You should know there is nothing I love more than sharing music (except maybe making it). Anyone want to jam out when I get home? I'm not a pro on the piano but I can try and I'm always willing to provide a sweet harmony!

Ok. I'm done. That was very sentimental and I'm gonna go put my headphones on now and fade away into some jazz vibes because I ran into this vender with a bunch of old jazz vinyls and I realize I've been neglecting it lately. Sorry babe.

Let me just end by showing you one song that kind of started out as a joke but it really sort of sums up the walking portion of my program and also is so romantic that it'll probably be in my wedding someday. It gets stuck in my head like NONE OTHER. You have been warned. From one of my favorite movies of all time, "Benny & Joon".... Don't you just love these Scottish goobers?

4 comments:

  1. giiiirl. i totally feel you on this! you need to share some tunes with me when you get back. i haven't expanded my music library in a couple years (besides the necessary addition of bon iver). oh and listining to coldplay in london would be AMAZING, i can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm YES music exchange session for sure. That goes both ways!
    You and Dave were definitely playing some sweet music on our road trip to california back in the day. I'm glad you get what I'm saying here. And yes, coldplay in London is the ultimate. love em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both Jaydiohead and the TOR sufjan stuff. My favorite is Change Order. "Death before dishonor, correct? Yup."

    ReplyDelete
  4. COBY! Do you have a blog? I will have to check it out.
    Yeah, Jaydiohead and TOR are great. I am always in the mood for those two albums. Change order is great. Well played friend...

    ReplyDelete